Message regarding Helene’s aftermath

My fellow Gators,

While we are still learning details regarding the extent of the damage left behind by Hurricane Helene, it is clear that our neighbors across the state are enduring significant damage and hardships. My prayers and deepest sympathies are with them.

The University of Florida campus in Gainesville was spared, mostly experiencing minor damage from downed trees. We know that UF units throughout the state — especially UF/IFAS — have suffered more extensive damage.

We are not aware of any injuries to UF personnel or students caused by the storm at this time. For that, I am extremely grateful. Our Gainesville campus will resume normal operations on Saturday, September 28.

If you are a UF student or employee who has been affected financially by Hurricane Helene, please visit Aid-a-Gator and apply for a grant.

I want to extend my sincere thanks to our campus staff who worked tirelessly overnight and through the storm to ensure the university and our facilities remained steady — from facility services staff, university police, and the emergency operations team, to dining and residence hall staff, to UF agricultural extension agents and UF Health staff members. This is a strong and resilient community.

If you have not already, I encourage you all to check on your neighbors, friends and family.

Warmly,
Kent

Kent Fuchs, Interim President

Tagged as:

Published: September 27th, 2024